home about me bucket list lico

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Dreamers.

Do you remember when you were a little child? And everything to you was new. New letters, new numbers, new colors, new people, new thoughts, new sounds, new words, new weather, new life. There was nothing to not be excited about.

Why does that change? Why do us, as young adults/adults, become content with life? Of course there's a time to be happy with your life, to be proud, to be content with the things you have accomplished. But why aren't we always pushing for something more, something new. 

I don't ever want to be content. I want to be happy, I want to be thankful to God for my blessings, I want to love. But I don't want to settle. The only time I think it's alright to settle is when you are an elder, you have lived life, and you are ready to stop moving.

I watched an episode of Scrubs once and J.T. had an elder woman as a patient with liver cancer. She decided that she was done with chemo and surgeries, she didn't want to put herself through that pain anymore. J.T. kept pushing her to live, to work for her life, and she said she had lived, she had done everything she had ever wanted, and was ready to die. He started making a list of things you should do before you die, and confronted her with the list. Anything that he threw at her she replied with a simple, "Done it". She had done EVERYTHING imaginable. That....is when I believe you can stop, and be content.

That's what the point of a dream is, right? To push towards, to work towards, to want to accomplish. So then why, as adults especially, do we stop following our dreams?

They who dream by day are cognizant off many things which escape those who dream only by night. -Edgar Allan Poe 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. It is so true! And that episode of scrubs totally made me cry. :( It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete