home about me bucket list lico

Monday, May 14, 2012

"I do."

What is commitment these days?
Commitment to people, commitment to jobs, commitment to God. What about a commitment makes it so easy to get out of? What about a commitment makes people think that now-a-days, it's unnecessary to keep?
Commitment in the face of conflict produces character.
I like this quote because I have seen a lot of marriages, friendships, and relationships tumble around me lately. They crumble because things are hard in life, and people tend to bolt when circumstances don't permit perfect performance. In my opinion, when you have the guts, or the ability, or the want to stay with someone or keep a friendship when the going get's rough, you are truly committed to that person. That's my definition of commitment.
It scares me though. It is truly one of the most frightening concepts that people don't respect marriage vows, or the commitment to your spouse anymore. That it's so easy for people to get fed up with each other after a fight and literally walk away. Walk away. From the entire relationship, from the foundation of a life, from the person they made vows to. I'm not saying that there aren't circumstances under which divorce is acceptable, of course not. But to be fed up with someone, to not go to counseling, to give up and walk away. How can people so easily disregard the commitment that they made to be with that person for the rest of their life?

One of the items on my bucket list is to "Say, I do."
How am I supposed to say "I do" to someone, how am I supposed to fully commit myself to someone when I cannot even be sure that they'll commit themselves to me. I suppose a lot of it is out of my reach, and I suppose a lot of broken marriages are due to the way society portrays marriage vows these days. Did you know, that in France, they are making a type of home living situation where you get the benefits of marriage without having to take the vows? You can live together, get the money and insurance benefits that come with being married, and not have to promise each other anything. Either person could walk away whenever they wanted. I was appalled. With society making marriage out to be silly, how am I ever supposed to find someone who will truly want to commit themselves to me?

As I stated before: it is truly one of the most frightening concepts to me, that one day marriage will mean nothing. Because it has been a dream of mine to grow up, get married, have children and grow old with my husband. I have always wanted to be a mother and wife. Always. To think that it may never happen, it makes me so sad.
The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved', the pig was 'committed'.  
I wish I could change the outlook people have. I want to go back in time to the days where marriage was a privilege, not a right, and something that people took as serious as their own life and death. Of course this won't happen, but I do wish for it.

One day, I hope to be married to someone who is as committed to me as I am to them, one day.
It's on my bucket list afterall...


lico,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment